For my first Foodie Friday post I wanted to feature Scarlet’s Bakery. I love everything about this place! From their mission to “ teach transferable job skills that help exploited women overcome adversity and achieve financial freedom” to their cute little shop at 741 E Oak St to their delectable treats. So far i have tried their Cinnamon Roll, White Chocolate Raspberry Muffin, Gluten Free Double Chocolate Cream Cheese Swirl Muffin and the Bacon and Cheddar Muffin. So far everything has been amazing. Next time you are in the mood for something sweet make the trip down to Scarlet’s Bakery, you will not be disappointed!
Scarlet’s Bakery 741 E Oak ST, Louisville, Kentucky 40203 502-290-7112 Store Hours: Wednesday-Friday 7:00am-3:00pm Saturday 8:00am-3:00pm Sunday 8:00am-2:00pm
Welcome to Myrtle Beach
Why visit Myrtle Beach? Its the perfect place for a beach vacation! Cheap food, cheap accommodations, cheap things to do. Its the perfect place for everyone since it offers a variety of things to do. Whether you are a Couple, a family with children or a solo travel you will find something to do. Have i sold you yet? If not, maybe the places i have listed bellow will convince you.
Where to Eat:
Myrtle beach is filled with tons of restaurants. Every where i looked there was a restaurant. Two things that i love about Myrtle Beach is the amount of mom and pop restaurants and the amount of breakfast restaurants. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so its heaven on earth for me. Bellow I’ve compiled a list of our favorite restaurants in Myrtle Beach.
- Mammy’s Kitchen: They serve a very good and cheap breakfast buffet filled with all your usual breakfast items but also a really good fruit bar.
- Plantation Pancake House: The awesome thing about this place is that they are open from 10 p.m until 2 p.m so when you have that late night breakfast craving they are open!
- 2nd Avenue Pier: The view this restaurant offers is spectacular. They are also open for breakfast lunch and dinner. They have an open air bar and a pier you can walk out or fish on for a small fee.
- Sams Corner: The hot dogs here are so good! The have a lot of different options for toppings so they can fix your hot dog just the way you like it. Another awesome thing about this restaurant is that they are open late. So after a late night walk on the boardwalk head over to Sams Corner for some awesome hot dogs. Keep in mind that they don’t accept cards only cash. They do have an ATM inside the restaurant but it charges a fee.
- Thai Cuisine: This was by far the best Thai food I’ve ever had! The restaurant doesn’t look too appealing on the outside but don’t let that scare you. The restaurant is nice on the inside and the food is absolutely amazing!
Where to stay
View from our airbnb apartment
There are a lot of different options of accommodations in Myrtle Beach. Keep in mind that If you wait to book the night before or the same day of your stay a lot of times you can get really good deals. Sometimes you are able to book higher star hotel at a very large discount on sites like Kayak or Priceline. So if you’re not a big planner like i normally am try to wait to book your hotel.
- Rent an apartment on the beach using AirBnb. Here’s the link for the apartment (pictured above) that we stayed at: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1640460
- We’ve also stayed at The Sheraton which is located very close to the beach. We got our room 50% off the original price because we waited to book on the day of our stay by using a discount travel site.
- Another way we were able to get a really good deal on accommodations was looking on Groupon and Living Social. A lot of times they will have hotel deals and resort packages. When booking a hotel on one of those sites make sure to read all of the fine print. That way you can make sure that the hotel is available on the dates you want (a lot of times you should call the hotel to check on the dates you want before purchasing the Groupon/Living social unless you are able to pick the dates on Groupons website before purchasing) and also at the location you want.
What to do
There are so many things to do in Myrtle Beach for the whole family. There are a ton of restaurants so you can take it easy and just eat your way through the city. Or you could spend your whole day at the beach. But if you like to cram pack your vacation full of stuff like i do, there are plenty of things for you to do as well. Bellow is a list of the things that my husband and I enjoyed.
- Go to the Beach. You cant go all the way to Myrtle Beach and not go to the beach. You just cant.
- Walk along the Boardwalk. It has something for everyone. During the summer they have concerts and festivals. It is also the home of the Sky Wheel which i definitely recommend trying out. If you’re not afraid of heights that is. They also have a lot of old time photo shops along the boardwalk which is a lot of fun for the whole family. and you’ll get a family portrait to take home with you. Since there are so many of these shops, i recommend looking at as many as possible and then picking out which you like the best based on clothing options, background options and friendliness of staff. There are also a lot of restaurants on the boardwalk. everything from fancy shmancy to order at the window take out.
- Brookgreen Gardens is also a must see. Especially if you have kids. Its the perfect place to go to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the touristy part of Myrtle Beach. This place has so much to see! If you can plan a full day here and pack a lunch. Just to name a few of the things we saw the sculpture gardens, the petting zoo (which includes a humongous bird cage that i wasn’t brave enough to walk through.) oh yeah, and the botanical gardens.
- Take a ride in a NASCAR if you have a need for speed. The Myrtle Beach Speedway offers the option of you driving a NASCAR or riding in the passenger seat while a professional drives you around the track a few times which is what I did. It was awesome by the way!
- Walk around The Beach Off Broadway. The beach off broadway has tons of stuff to do! Restaurants, stores (tons of them) a little lake where you can rent paddle boats and other things, and museums. Wonder Works which is a very interesting museum to take the kids or the kid at heart is located here, just in case you were looking for it. I definitely recommend spending an evening at the beach off broadway.
- Last but not least Go shopping! There are a few outlet malls around myrtle beach so take advantage of their sales while your in town.
I hope this list of things to do in Myrtle Beach helps! I would love to hear about what you like doing while in Myrtle Beach.
We finally had the pleasure of visiting the St James Art Fair today! I haven’t been since i was a kid! Now that I’m older and manage booths myself i had a bigger appreciation for the art we saw and the artist we met. And we saw some amazing art. If you are ever in Louisville i definitely recommend visiting the St James Art Fair. Or if if you are an art enthusiast i would recommend making a special trip to Louisville for this event. It is an annual event that normally falls on the first weekend of October.
Info About St. James Art Fair
The area that holds the fair is so beautiful it provides the perfect setting for such an amazing event. While walking down the streets of the fair you are surrounded by gorgeous Victorian homes and very friendly people. The festival host about 750 artist so definitely wear good walking shoes. They have many food booths but most of them only take cash and ATM’s are scarce so definitely bring cash if you want to get lunch or a snack while there. Most if not all of the artist take credit/debit cards. A lot of times if you are patient you can find parking on the streets around the festival but if you don’t want to deal with that you can park in the fairs designated parking lot and they have shuttle buses that run through out the day that will take you to and from the fair. Most of all enjoy and have fun! Here is a link to the fairs website so you can get more detailed information http://www.stjamescourtartshow.com/
Something that caught my eye
Don’t get me wrong, we saw some truly amazing art but one artist stood out to me. His name is Nick Ringlestetter he is the graphic illustrator and owner of Atomic 7 Studio. His work is so unique it caught our eye from a far. He uses many different forms of media to make these awesome creations but the one i liked the most are his metal print street signs. This combination of media creates something very unique. Here is a link to his Facebook page so you can learn more about him and see all of his beautiful creations https://www.facebook.com/Atomic7studio
Earring display for craft show booth
It’s actually a cupcake holder that spins.
I bought it at TJ Maxx but I see them all the time. I used open crimp beads so the earrings will stay in place.
I used it at a Booth once before and it worked out perfectly and it attracted people to my Booth.
One thing I love about Myrtle Beach is the amount of breakfast restaurants it has.
Since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day I’m always excited about the amount of breakfast I’ll be able to eat while visiting.
Mammy’s has been in Myrtle Beach for over 60 years… I love a restaurant with some history.
We decided to try Mammy’s kitchen since it had a Breakfast buffet for only $7.99.
I was very happy when I found out they also had a fruit bar since I love fruit for breakfast.
Unfortunately the melon wasn’t good but the strawberries were delicious.
The buffet consisted of scrambled eggs, Bacon, sausage, gravy, pancakes and lots more.
The staff was very friendly, the food was great and it’s close the beach.
I was very excited to eat at Sam’s Corner again.
It’s a little hole in the wall mom and pop restaurant but the hot dogs are delicious! They have lots of toppings to choose from and cheap prices.
Best of all is that they are open 24/7.
Recommendation: Bring cash! They only accept cash. They have an ATM but to avoid any extra fees just bring cash.
Don’t be surprised if it smells like smoke. You can smoke in a lot of restaurants in Myrtle Beach.